Talk of the 'Ton
LOGIN HERE
Talk of the 'Ton

GREENOCK MORTON FANS' FORUM.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Things you never see any more!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:29 am

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo
HamilTON wrote:kitchen pulley's

Sheila maids.

30Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 pm

weemanTon

weemanTon
QD certainly knows his public lavvies! big grin

31Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Quick Draw

Quick Draw
weemanTon wrote:QD certainly knows his public lavvies! big grin

Sadly public toilets are a thing of the past. There used to be good ones at the Campbell Street end of the Esplanade but they are long gone. Always first to go when councils make cuts.

No idea what you're meant to do now.

32Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Things you never see any more! on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:18 am

bastardo

bastardo
If there’s enough Polis about to catch you there should also be plenty of pubs and bookies shops with facilities....and....

36Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 am

willowman

willowman
You need to learn how to post pics hegehog!

Cheers Jim

37Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:11 am

SPIKE

If eye wiz ah hedgehog, eye wood bee spikey.

38Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 am

willowman

willowman
SPIKE wrote:

If eye wiz ah hedgehog, eye wood bee spikey.
I get your point bounce

39Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:28 am

SPIKE

You have less chance than Dunco or Goodwin.

40Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:03 am

Ron E Dodd

Ron E Dodd
On topic-enthusiasm at Scapa

Sent from Topic'it App

41Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:38 pm

BarrTon

BarrTon
Playgrounds full of slim kids.

42Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:32 am

Auld Cokey

Auld Cokey
Proper street sweepers

43Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:36 am

SPIKE

ice slides in school playgrounds

44Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo
Ice slides are a thing of the past, says Greta.

45Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:59 pm

SPIKE

Johnny Bravo wrote:Ice slides are a thing of the past, says Greta.

Give Greta an ice slide and she wood fall on her arse.

46Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Dribbling Mongoose

Dribbling Mongoose
new build tower blocks

47Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:05 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
This has been moved from the dedicated highlights forum!

Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Screen17

Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Screen18

Chelsea return to Champions League action under Jose Mourhino when they play Basel on Wednesday. This week 45 years ago, the Blues were competing on the European stage against Morton.

The Greenock club were taking part in their first, and to date only, foray into Europe after a sixth-placed finish in the First Division had won them a place in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

The draw for the competition took place in Copenhagen, so it was fitting that Morton’s first-ever goal in Europe was scored by a Dane.

Borge Thorup didn’t hit the net until his side were six goals behind, but it sparked a comeback that caused a period of panic for the boys from the King’s Road.

He recalls: “We started the first leg quite well at Stamford Bridge, but the tie was really lost when they scored two goals in two minutes before half-time.

“They got another three goals in the second half to win 5-0.

“Chelsea had some outstanding players like Charlie Cooke, Bobby Tambling and Peter Osgood.

“We had really talented front players, too, in Joe Harper, Tony Taylor, Joe Mason and Willie Allan but nothing went for us in front of goal.”

Morton manager Hal Stewart decided to change his plan of attack for the return leg at Cappielow.

Although listed as No 2, Borge played at centre-forward.

He goes on: “Hal would play me in different positions. He used to tell us: ‘Keep the ball high in the air, that way the other team can’t get it.’

“In the home game, Chelsea went further ahead right at the start of the match. Then I headed an equaliser after five minutes before Joe Mason and Tony Taylor scored to put us 3-1 up on the night.

“We hit the post, had one cleared off the line and ended up losing the match 4-3. But it was a night I’ll never forget.”

Borge came to Scotland in 1966 from Danish side Bronshoj.

He says: “I was fed up getting up at six in the morning to work, and having to train at night. Playing professional football full-time meant training in the morning and then playing golf in the afternoon.

“I found things very different. Britain seemed 20 years behind Denmark at that time. I was used to central heating, but in Scotland I only had a little electric fire. But I loved playing for Morton and we had a great group of players.”

In 1969 Borge was sold to Crystal Palace, and his only first-team game in two seasons came against Chelsea.

“I was unlucky because I had my cartilage removed after two months at Palace,” he says. “Then at the start of the next season, I had my arm broken by Clyde Best of West Ham.”

Borge returned for a second stint with Morton, a short spell with Clydebank and then three years back in Denmark.

Now 69, he lives in Dunoon where for 26 years he worked on the Western Ferries.

http://gmfc1874.forumotion.com

48Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:25 pm

baker street

baker street
Used to blether with Borge regularly on the way over and back. Very down to earth.

49Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo
Some great posts from newcomer Spike since he joined. Just need Admin to teach him how to add pics and there will be no stopping him.

50Things you never see any more! - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you never see any more! on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:32 pm

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo
Also, once Admin learns to move stuff to the right forum it'll be even better. 🤣🤣

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum