Talk of the 'Ton

GREENOCK MORTON FANS' FORUM.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 pm

JCB

JCB
How far back can you go, and what are your fondest/least fond memories of the ground (or as it is now termed, the 'stadium')?

I'm not going to divulge my age, but I can remember a game being stopped when a stray dog took over the pitch for about five minutes! ;)

2CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo
My fondest memories are going to the game with my Dad and his mates. They stood half way up the WDE, while I stood right behind the goal. We then made our away around the ground and did the same at Sinclair Street for the second half.

I'll always remember a few years ago when the Morton fan tragically died just after the start of the QoS game. The thing that stands out for me was that everyone walked out the ground without a whisper of complaint. Total respect.

3CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 pm

JCB

JCB
When I was a wee boy my Uncle used to punt me over the turnstiles. As long as you were wee enough to get a punt you were a freebie.

4CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:22 pm

PLEDGERTON

PLEDGERTON
As a youngster before I was old enough to go to games I used to hear pipe bands inside the ground on match days. Guess my least fond memory is the stink of the old stand lavatory - a mixture of stale piss lager and tobacco smoke.

5CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:34 pm

toddyton

toddyton
Loads of memories right back to the sixties when there was no segregation though opposing fans tended to stay at their own ends of the ground and stand. Was recalling the other day how it was quite common for the match ball to burst back in those days of leather studs and slide tackles!

6CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:36 pm

bratsimpson

bratsimpson
Too young for that stuff. Liked the May Hugh dancers. Mate called me a wee perv!

7CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Tomton

Tomton
When did they put the plastic seats in? I remember when it was just long benches. Also remember the wee blue disabled folk's cars used to get to park around the ground.

8CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:00 am

theduffer

theduffer
Tomton wrote:When did they put the plastic seats in? I remember when it was just long benches. Also remember the wee blue disabled folk's cars used to get to park around the ground.

Forgot all about them. Refs always in black, half time was ten mins, and giving the Glesga clique a good game - happy times as a youngster.

9CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 am

weemanTon

weemanTon
bratsimpson wrote:Too young for that stuff. Liked the May Hugh dancers. Mate called me a wee perv!
ffs mate they were absolute shite

10CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:58 am

hoppyton

hoppyton
Remember yon Peterhead game when we got promoted. Their drums were mental! Also Dundee Utd game when we didn't. I was greetin' on the way home!

11CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:16 am

Wylie

Wylie
Plenty happy memories. One time the guy fell off the ladder up to the half time scoreboard!

12CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:02 pm

RSlicker

RSlicker
Mr Rae once shook my hand in hospitality

13CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:41 pm

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo
Have you washed it yet Slick?

14CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:29 pm

RSlicker

RSlicker
Johnny Bravo wrote:Have you washed it yet Slick?
yes.

15CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Delton

Delton
Started watching the ton after Scott so no old memories. Remember the early dougie days with his mike asking if we were up for it and singing dougie dougie gie's a wave!

16CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:08 pm

bratsimpson

bratsimpson
weemanTon wrote:
bratsimpson wrote:Too young for that stuff. Liked the May Hugh dancers. Mate called me a wee perv!
ffs mate they were absolute shite
cool

17CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Quick Draw

Quick Draw
PLEDGERTON wrote:As a youngster before I was old enough to go to games I used to hear pipe bands inside the ground on match days. Guess my least fond memory is the stink of the old stand lavatory - a mixture of stale piss lager and tobacco smoke.

I've played the pipes at Cappielow before games many a time.

18CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:01 pm

weemanTon

weemanTon
Quick Draw wrote:
PLEDGERTON wrote:As a youngster before I was old enough to go to games I used to hear pipe bands inside the ground on match days. Guess my least fond memory is the stink of the old stand lavatory - a mixture of stale piss lager and tobacco smoke.

I've played the pipes at Cappielow before games many a time.
funny warm up if you ask me! Twisted Evil

19CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:47 am

Mr Toon

It was the First Port BB pipe band that played at pretty much all home games in the early sixties. I had a pal who was a member and used to get in with them. Then up to my uncle's after the game for a fish supper. Happy memories.

20CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:25 am

JCB

JCB
Mr Toon wrote:It was the First Port BB pipe band that played at pretty much all home games in the early sixties. I had a pal who was a member and used to get in with them. Then up to my uncle's after the game for a fish supper. Happy memories.
I think they used to bring in 'grown up' pipe bands for special matches.

21CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 am

Quick Draw

Quick Draw
Mr Toon wrote:It was the First Port BB pipe band that played at pretty much all home games in the early sixties. I had a pal who was a member and used to get in with them. Then up to my uncle's after the game for a fish supper. Happy memories.

I played at Cappielow with the Greenock Scout Association Pipe Band in the late 70's, early 80's.

For some reason it wasn't every home game. We did get a donation from the club and we all got in for nothing which was the best thing.

22CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! Empty Re: CAPPIELOW NOSTALGIA! on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:32 am

Tomton

Tomton
JCB wrote:
I think they used to bring in 'grown up' pipe bands for special matches.
Yes they did but it may just have been on special occasions. I clearly remember the such and such Police Pipe Band who were champions of such and such - well I remember vaguely tbh! What a Face

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum