Talk of the 'Ton
LOGIN HERE
Talk of the 'Ton

GREENOCK MORTON FANS' FORUM.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus and its implications for Morton.

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Coronavirus and its implications for Morton. Empty Coronavirus and its implications for Morton. on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:58 pm

BawhirleyTon

BawhirleyTon
What is everyone thinking about it? We're not in a relegation or promotion state (even if they were to become relevant as things stand), and although the Club will obviously lose revenues, it's surely a level playing field on which others will suffer a similar fate.

I see that MCT has had to postpone their money-spinning dinner, and I guess that's not particularly good news. Personally, I don't care how this affects Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Falkirk or any other club. We're supposed to be Morton supporters after all.

Discuss!

Clydeview2

Clydeview2
Surely the club and the ruling body will be insured against this sort of disaster

BawhirleyTon

BawhirleyTon
Clydeview2 wrote:Surely the club and the ruling body will be insured against this sort of disaster

I believe that the C.E.O. has said as much to the local paper, but I'm very sceptical about insurance companies especially when they're faced with big claims.

LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON
I don't think it's as bad for us as it is for other clubs. With four home games left we'll take a hit for sure, and hospitality too. When you're over two million in debt and have millionaire owners, is that really going to be much of a problem?

I'm more concerned that the same people who are panic buying are demanding relegation for this club and that club and no promotion for others. It really is cringeworthy stuff.

IMO, the only fair way is to cancel this season and prepare for next year. No promotion or relegations and the prize money gets handed out on current positions.

If any fan thinks their club should be refunding them for season tickets then they should have a good long look at themselves, then run away and hide in the woods for all eternity.

Taggart

Taggart
LinwoodTON wrote:I don't think it's as bad for us as it is for other clubs. With four home games left we'll take a hit for sure, and hospitality too. When you're over two million in debt and have millionaire owners, is that really going to be much of a problem?

I'm more concerned that the same people who are panic buying are demanding relegation for this club and that club and no promotion for others. It really is cringeworthy stuff.

IMO, the only fair way is to cancel this season and prepare for next year. No promotion or relegations and the prize money gets handed out on current positions.

If any fan thinks their club should be refunding them for season tickets then they should have a good long look at themselves, then run away and hide in the woods for all eternity.
Some good points there LWT though I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over the usual tedious 'We fucking hate everybody' claptrap elsewhere.

Things were bubbling along nicely with MCT taking a bow at each apparent improvement but this must surely put a dent in it all. Your comment about millionaire owners rings ironic in those days of self isolation.

LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON
This won't, or at least shouldn't, put any dent in the MCT involvement. MCT made it perfectly clear that their funds will not be used for the day to day running of the club.

Clydeview2

Clydeview2
LinwoodTON wrote:This won't, or at least shouldn't, put any dent in the MCT involvement. MCT made it perfectly clear that their funds will not be used for the day to day running of the club.
I’m very uncomfortable about MCT - especially now that Mr McLennan’s a director. Some see that as a step towards fan ownership but it seems no time ago that Jim McColl and then Stuart Duncan were pissed on by the Raes when they were fans directors.

Taggart

Taggart
Clydeview2 wrote:
LinwoodTON wrote:This won't, or at least shouldn't, put any dent in the MCT involvement. MCT made it perfectly clear that their funds will not be used for the day to day running of the club.
I’m very uncomfortable about MCT - especially now that Mr McLennan’s a director. Some see that as a step towards fan ownership but it seems no time ago that Jim McColl and then Stuart Duncan were pissed on by the Raes when they were fans directors.

I'm uncomfortable about a very rich family whose only residual interest in our football club is to claw back an imaginary debt.

MCT has helped to keep things ticking over but that doesn't mean it could run a football club. Hopefully this bat flu will focus minds.

The Toad

The Toad
Wait until we get the official announcement and watch the sparks fly as it definitely won't suit everyone. I just hope it's definitive and not all dependent on further advice from a, b, and c.

10Coronavirus and its implications for Morton. Empty Re: Coronavirus and its implications for Morton. on Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:55 pm

baker street

baker street
Not unexpected, but that's the AGM off indefinitely.

LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON
The Toad wrote:Wait until we get the official announcement and watch the sparks fly as it definitely won't suit everyone. I just hope it's definitive and not all dependent on further advice from a, b, and c.

The 2020 Euros have now been put back until 2021. Rumours now that will leave space on the calendar to complete leagues this season.

Clydeview2

Clydeview2
LinwoodTON wrote:
The Toad wrote:Wait until we get the official announcement and watch the sparks fly as it definitely won't suit everyone. I just hope it's definitive and not all dependent on further advice from a, b, and c.

The 2020 Euros have now been put back until 2021. Rumours now that will leave space on the calendar to complete leagues this season.
Most folk would prefer that. Trouble is that there’s still so much uncertainty about time scales for infection peaking here. Also we’re still seeing very little cohesion in our national approach to containing it.

LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON
Looks like the league will be completed. UEFA want all leagues finished by June 30th. Probably going to be behind closed doors.

baker street

baker street
LinwoodTON wrote:Looks like the league will be completed. UEFA want all leagues finished by June 30th. Probably going to be behind closed doors.

Well at least there's a sense of a fair conclusion in that, though it won't please everybody. Would the clubs receive some compensatory payment from the authorities and/or sponsors for lost revenues.

15Coronavirus and its implications for Morton. Empty Re: Coronavirus and its implications for Morton. on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Clydeview2

Clydeview2
Folk now talking about the complications of trying to arrange closed door matches within that timescale.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo
I wouldn't imagine it takes much arranging. Everyone turn up on Saturday and we'll play fitba.

Tomton

Tomton
Johnny Bravo wrote:I wouldn't imagine it takes much arranging. Everyone turn up on Saturday and we'll play fitba.

...AND BRING A FRIEND!

If only it was so simple JB. Unless the authorities take a very firm hand on this we'll be having every excuse under the sun rolled out for playing or not playing those matches.

Taggart

Taggart
The clubs will do what they're told as they will otherwise suffer financially.

Boozehound

They will get bailed out anyway-everybody's in the same boat.

20Coronavirus and its implications for Morton. Empty Re: Coronavirus and its implications for Morton. on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:29 am

baker street

baker street
Boozehound wrote:They will get bailed out anyway-everybody's in the same boat.

Correct - announcement of 80% wages supplement and of course the MCT money is still committed.

LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON
baker street wrote:

Correct - announcement of 80% wages supplement and of course the MCT money is still committed.

I think that's a red herring. The 80% supplement is for people who are not at work. If players are still training, officially, they won't qualify.

AberTon

AberTon
LinwoodTON wrote:
baker street wrote:

I think that's a red herring. The 80% supplement is for people who are not at work. If players are still training, officially, they won't qualify.

You’ve seen this officially?

LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON
AberTon wrote:
LinwoodTON wrote:
baker street wrote:

Isn't it common sense? If people are at work, their company is still operating. Why would they then need subsidised?

baker street

baker street
LinwoodTON wrote:
AberTon wrote:
LinwoodTON wrote:
baker street wrote:

Isn't it common sense? If people are at work, their company is still operating. Why would they then need subsidised?

Have you seen it officially was the question! smile

hairymary

hairymary
LinwoodTON wrote:
baker street wrote:

But there not training - it was in the paper.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum