Talk of the 'Ton
LOGIN HERE
Talk of the 'Ton

GREENOCK MORTON FANS' FORUM.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Was Your First Morton Game?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Was Your First Morton Game? Empty What Was Your First Morton Game? on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Mine was November '74, Killie at Cappielow.

My Dad worked away from home so didn't get to any before this one. Although we got beat 3-2, I was hooked. I still get shivers down my spine when I go to Cappielow.

http://www.fitbastats.com/morton/game.php?gameid=21750

View user profile

2What Was Your First Morton Game? Empty Re: What Was Your First Morton Game? on Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:48 pm

Well I'm giving away my age here, and I can't remember the ACTUAL first game but it was just as Hal Stewart took over - guys like Finbarr Flood, Kelly, Turner, Reilly, Archie Robertson, Doug Cowie, and Bobby Evans, who stabilised things before the famous promotion winning season when McGraw made his all time record. As if that wasn't enough we then had the Danish invasion. Those were heady days for a relatively young Morton fan. I feel very sorry indeed for today's youngsters and equally angry at the attitude that we're at our correct level. That's utter crap. We DESPERATELY need fresh blood in the boardroom.

View user profile

3What Was Your First Morton Game? Empty Re: What Was Your First Morton Game? on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:57 am

First game was in May 1963, with the season having had to be extended due to the very severe winter in 62/63. We won 3-1, and I think it was against Queens Park. Can't remember much about it, but the following season was brilliant (apart from 26th October 1963).

View user profile

4What Was Your First Morton Game? Empty Re: What Was Your First Morton Game? on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Alibi wrote:First game was in May 1963, with the season having had to be extended due to the very severe winter in 62/63.  We won 3-1, and I think it was against Queens Park.  Can't remember much about it, but the following season was brilliant (apart from 26th October 1963).

Yes, Alibi, the youngsters are very quick to describe those days as 'irrelevant' to our current status. I think the appropriate term is 'Sour grapes' -

- and even if we lost out to Rangers, that attendance wasn't all from Govan!  Shocked
What Was Your First Morton Game? Screen11

View user profile

5What Was Your First Morton Game? Empty Re: What Was Your First Morton Game? on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm

I was born in a 'Morton' family but never actually saw the inside of Cappielow till I was in my twenties when my then boyfriend took me to the Peterhead game that won us promotion. Try to get to as many games as possible now when work permits.

View user profile

6What Was Your First Morton Game? Empty Re: What Was Your First Morton Game? on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:34 pm

Berwick Rangers 1964. League Cup tie. We won 5-2. I was probably punted over the turnstile as was common in these days.

View user profile

7What Was Your First Morton Game? Empty Re: What Was Your First Morton Game? on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:42 am

Pendleton wrote:Berwick Rangers 1964. League Cup tie. We won 5-2. I was probably punted over the turnstile as was common in these days.
That was my first season too but can't remember what game. All my paper round money went on the Ton in those days!

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum